Working Together for Success

SEN (Special Educational Needs) Report

Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Report
 All schools and academies in Manchester are expected to identify and support pupils with special educational needs and disabilities, so that they make the best possible progress.

Peel Hall Community Primary School creates an inclusive environment where all of our pupils are valued and cared for. Every child may need special educational help for any number of reasons. These may be emotional, behavioural, learning or related to a medical problem. If you have concerns about your child in any way, do come into school and share your concern with your child’s teacher. Our school SENCo Mrr Romagnoli, is also available to discuss any issues relating to SEN. Concerns may also be shared with myself Miss Brownlee.

How does Peel Hall Community Primary School know if children need extra help?
We know when pupils need help if:

  • Concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child.
  • Limited progress is being made.
  • There is a change in the child’s progress or behaviour.
  • Information is transferred into school by other providers, for example, pre-school nurseries.

What should I do if I think that my child has Special Education Needs?
If you have concerns about your child then come into school and share your concern with the class teacher and/or Mrs Romagnoli.

How will Peel Hall Community Primary School support my child?

  • We have a broad and balanced curriculum, which is adapted and made accessible for the children’s varying needs.
  • Each child’s education will be planned by the class teacher. It will be differentiated according to each child’s individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistants in the class.
  • If a child has needs related to more specific areas of learning such as spelling, handwriting, literacy or numeracy skills, then they may be placed in a small group where specific interventions are given. These may be run by outside of the classroom. The interventions will be regularly reviewed to ensure their effectiveness. If you have any queries related to the interventions please speak with the class teacher.
  • Child progress meetings are held termly in school. These are meetings where the class teacher discusses the progress of pupils with the Senior Leadership Team or the SENCo. These meetings may indicate further support for some pupils.
  • Occasionally pupils may need further assessment of their needs or we may need to seek advice from an outside agency. Agencies that work closely to support children within the school include the Speech and Language Therapist and the Educational Psychologist. They can provide strategies that will help us to support your child within school. A referral will be completed with your support and consent, and forwarded to the most appropriate agency.
  • Staff access relevant training as part of their professional development to support children’s needs.

How will learning be matched to my child’s needs?

  • If a child has been identified as having a Special Educational Need, they will have a plan, which shows additional support, or interventions that they may be accessing. These will be shared with you by the class teacher. Some children will have targets to work towards as part of their plan. Any targets will be monitored, amended and discussed with you and your child, by the teacher.
  • Learning will be delivered by the teacher on a continual cycle. The teacher will assess to get a growing understanding of your child’s needs. They will plan more detailed and specialist approaches so that they gain an understanding of what works for your child. They will put these into practice. These will be reviewed to understand what approaches are most effective for your child. After a period, they will assess again and continue the cycle.
  • If appropriate, specialist resources may be given to your child, for example, writing slopes, coloured vision rulers, pencil grips, concentration cushions, coloured overlays, visual timetables.
  • If appropriate, specialist dispensation may be given to your child. We follow the guidance of the Department for Education for children taking tests or SATs. In some circumstances children may be allowed additional time or somebody to scribe for them.

How will I know how my child is doing?

  • You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at termly meetings with their class teacher.
  • If you cannot attend a meeting in school with the teacher during the term, they will contact you by telephone to discuss how your child is doing.
  • Your child’s class teacher will be available to speak to you after school. Please make an appointment.
  • Your teacher may ask for additional meetings with you, or may contact you by telephone.
  • Appointments can be made to speak to the SENCo (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) Mrs Romagnoli by ringing school on 0161- 437 2494 and pressing option 2. By pressing option 2 you are able to speak to the office and they will pass on a message for Mrs Romagnoli to contact you. .
  • If your child has an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP) you will be invited into school to review the plan at least once a year. Your child may be invited to the meeting too. The meeting will give us the opportunity to set new targets together, and discuss how we can support each other to meet the needs of your child.

How will you help me to support my child learning?
At Peel Hall Community Primary School we aim to foster a good working partnership with parents/carers. The class teacher may suggest ways in which you can support your child and include these on an individual plan. The plan may include suggestions of how you can support your child at home. Both you and your child will be involved in discussions regarding the best way to support your child.

If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved, suggestions and programmes of work are normally provided by them, and can be used at home.

Additional provision is overseen by our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator.

In school, support staff have received training and provide support and advice for children who have a range of learning needs. We deliver a wide range of interventions to support children with difficulties. The intervention a child receives depends upon their individual needs.

The class teacher will involve your child in understanding their needs, how best to support them and the progress they have made.

What specialist support and services are accessed by the school?
At times, it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies and these agencies may in some cases work with your child on the school premises.

The agencies used by the school include:

  • Educational Psychologist
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • Visual Impaired team
  • Hearing impaired team
  • School Health Services
  • GP
  • Information, Advice and Support (IAS) Service (formerly Parent Partnership Service)
  • CAMHS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service)
  • Advice from staff within other schools who have more expertise and knowledge.
    What support will be given to my child with medical needs?

We adhere to our school medical policy.

Where a Health Care Plan is required, we will work with you to formulate a plan to meet the needs of your child.

Staff receive training to support specific medical needs e.g. asthma, diabetes

In the case of a medical emergency we will assess the situation and if required will not hesitate to ring 999. We will contact you immediately.

What support will be given if my child has a disability?
The school has an accessibility plan which is reviewed annually. It is available from our school office upon request, or on our school website. It sets out our steps to prevent pupils with disabilities from being treated less favourably, including accessibility to the building and school grounds, and to the curriculum.

The governing body has decided that children with disabilities will be admitted to the school in line with the school’s agreed admissions policy, which does not treat children with disabilities less favourably.

What happens if my child transfers school?
We work with other settings to ensure that all relevant information is shared. Where necessary, we arrange a meeting between both schools to which you will be invited. The school you are transferring your child to may suggest an extended transition, which will be discussed with you.

Who can I contact for further information?
If you wish to discuss your child’s special educational needs, or the support and interventions they receive, then please make an appointment with the class teacher, Mrs Romagnoli or myself Miss Brownlee.

Manchester Local Education Authority also has its own local offer.

You may also obtain impartial advice and support from the Information, Advice and Support service. (IAS) This was previously known as parent partnership.

Peel Hall Primary School Ashurst Road, Wythenshawe, Manchester, M22 5AU
Finance Officer • Courtney Dodd
Headteacher • Mrs Amy Tatham
SENCO • Rebecca Squires
Family Support • Siobhan Burke
Find us on a map